Describe a Picture

 

See It, Say It! – Describe a Picture-1


Look Them Closely and Say Them Perfectly-2

Speaking Goal

Look carefully at the picture and talk about what you can see. Say 8–14 sentences and try to speak for about one minute.

You can talk about:
place • people • things • colours • actions • positions • feelings • weather • your opinion


1. Start: What is the picture about?

Use these phrases to begin:

  • This picture shows…

  • This is a picture of…

  • I can see…

  • There is…

  • There are…

  • The picture is about…

Example:
This picture shows a park.
I can see many children and trees.


2. Say Where They Are

Place Words

park • classroom • playground • beach • market • street • garden • home • school • zoo

Use:

  • They are in a…

  • It is a…

  • This place looks like…

  • They are at the…

Example:
They are in a park.
The park looks clean and beautiful.


3. Talk About People

Say who you can see.

People Words

boy • girl • man • woman • child • children • teacher • student • family • friends

Use:

  • I can see a boy.

  • There are three children.

  • A woman is standing…

  • The children are…

  • They look…

Example:
I can see two boys and a girl.
They look happy.


4. Say What They Are Doing

Use is / are + action-ing.

Action Words

playing • running • walking • sitting • standing • eating • drinking • talking • reading • writing • smiling • laughing • watching • carrying • riding

Use:

  • The boy is playing.

  • The girl is running.

  • They are talking.

  • Some children are playing…

  • A man is walking…

Example:
The boys are playing football.
A girl is riding a bicycle.


5. Describe Things and Colours

Colour Words

red • blue • green • yellow • orange • pink • brown • black • white

Describing Words

big • small • tall • short • beautiful • colourful • clean • busy • quiet • bright • old • new

Use:

  • I can see a red…

  • There is a big…

  • The ___ is green.

  • It looks beautiful.

  • The place is very colourful.

Example:
There is a big green tree.
The girl is wearing a red dress.


6. Say Where Things Are

Position Words

in • on • under • near • next to • behind • in front of • between • on the left • on the right

Use:

  • On the left, I can see…

  • On the right, there is…

  • Next to the ___, there is…

  • Behind the ___, I can see…

  • In front of the ___, there is…

  • In the middle, there is…

Example:
On the left, there is a big tree.
A bicycle is next to the tree.


7. Talk About Feelings

Feeling Words

happy • excited • tired • sad • surprised • busy • relaxed

Use:

  • He looks happy.

  • She looks excited.

  • They seem happy.

  • I think they are enjoying themselves.

Example:
The children look happy.
I think they are enjoying the game.


8. Talk About the Weather

Weather Words

sunny • cloudy • rainy • windy • hot • cold • warm

Use:

  • It is a sunny day.

  • The weather looks nice.

  • It looks warm.

  • The sky is blue.

Example:
It is a sunny day.
The sky is clear and blue.


9. Say What You Think

Help learners move beyond only naming objects.

Use:

  • I think…

  • Maybe…

  • It looks like…

  • They might be…

  • I think they are…

Example:
I think the children are having fun.
Maybe they came to the park with their families.


10. Finish Your Description

Use:

  • I like this picture because…

  • The picture looks…

  • It is a nice picture because…

  • I would like to…

  • This picture makes me feel…

Example:
I like this picture because everyone looks happy.
I would like to visit this park too.


My 1-Minute Speaking Formula

Learners can follow this simple order:

1. Picture → What is the picture about?
2. Place → Where are they?
3. People → Who can you see?
4. Actions → What are they doing?
5. Things → What objects can you see?
6. Colours → What colours can you see?
7. Position → Where are the people/things?
8. Feelings → How do they look?
9. Weather → What is the weather like?
10. Opinion → What do you think about the picture?


Easy 10-Sentence Speaking Frame

  1. This picture shows __________.

  2. The people are in/at __________.

  3. I can see __________.

  4. There is/There are __________.

  5. The __________ is __________ing.

  6. The __________ are __________ing.

  7. On the left/right, there is __________.

  8. The people look __________.

  9. I think __________.

  10. I like this picture because __________.


Model: About 1 Minute

This picture shows a beautiful park. The weather is sunny and the sky is blue. I can see three children in the picture. Two boys are playing football. A girl is riding a bicycle near them. There are some big green trees in the park. On the left, I can see a woman sitting on a bench. She is watching the children. The children look happy and excited. I think they are enjoying their afternoon in the park. The park looks clean and colourful. I like this picture because everyone looks happy.


Teacher Target

By the end of the activity, learners should be able to:

  • speak for approximately one minute;

  • produce 8–14 simple, connected sentences;

  • identify and name people, places, objects and colours;

  • describe actions using is/are + verb-ing;

  • explain position using place words;

  • use simple adjectives to describe appearance and feelings;

  • make a simple guess using I think, maybe, it looks like;

  • finish with a simple personal opinion.

Core Language to Practise

I can see… • There is… • There are… • He is… • She is… • They are… • On the left… • On the right… • Next to… • Behind… • In front of… • It looks… • I think… • Maybe… • I like this picture because…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Message Writing – Sample and Practice

Notice Writing