Narration: Direct and Indirect Speech

General Rules of Narration (Direct and Indirect Speech)

Narration means reporting the words spoken by a person. There are two ways of reporting someone's words:

  1. Direct Speech

  2. Indirect Speech

1. Direct Speech

In Direct Speech, the exact words of the speaker are reported within quotation marks (“ ”).

Example:

Rahul said, “I am busy.”

Here, the speaker's exact words “I am busy” are given.

Elements of Direct Speech

A sentence in Direct Speech generally has two parts:

1. Reporting Speech – the part that tells us who spoke and how they spoke.

2. Reported Speech – the exact words spoken by the speaker.

Example:

Rahul said, “I am busy.”

  • Reporting Speech: Rahul said

  • Reporting Verb: said

  • Reported Speech: “I am busy.”

  • Inverted Commas: “ ”

  • Speaker: Rahul

Common Reporting Verbs

PurposeCommon Reporting Verbs
Statementsaid, told, replied, added
Questionasked, enquired, wanted to know
Orderordered, commanded
Requestrequested, begged, urged
Adviceadvised, suggested
Exclamationexclaimed, cried out

2. Indirect Speech

In Indirect Speech, we report the speaker's words without using the speaker's exact words and without quotation marks.

Direct:

Rahul said, “I am busy.”

Indirect:

Rahul said that he was busy.

Notice the changes:

  • Quotation marks are removed.

  • that is generally used to join the two parts.

  • I changes to he.

  • am changes to was.


General Rules of Narration

Rule 1: Remove the Inverted Commas

In Indirect Speech, inverted commas (“ ”) are removed.

Direct:

She said, “I am happy.”

Indirect:

She said that she was happy.


Rule 2: Change the Reporting Verb Where Necessary

The reporting verb may remain unchanged or may change according to the type of sentence.

Examples:

Statement:

He said, “I am tired.”
He said that he was tired.

Question:

He said to me, “Are you ready?”
He asked me if I was ready.

Order:

The teacher said to the boy, “Open your book.”
The teacher ordered the boy to open his book.

Request:

She said to me, “Please help me.”
She requested me to help her.


Rule 3: Change of Tense

When the reporting verb is in the past tense, the tense of the reported speech generally changes.

Main Tense Changes

Direct SpeechIndirect Speech
Simple Present →Simple Past
Present Continuous →Past Continuous
Present Perfect →Past Perfect
Present Perfect Continuous →Past Perfect Continuous
Simple Past →Past Perfect
Past Continuous →Past Perfect Continuous
Past Perfect →Usually no change
Past Perfect Continuous →Usually no change
will →would
can →could
may →might

Examples

1. Simple Present → Simple Past

He said, “I play cricket.”
He said that he played cricket.

2. Present Continuous → Past Continuous

She said, “I am reading.”
She said that she was reading.

3. Present Perfect → Past Perfect

Ravi said, “I have finished my work.”
Ravi said that he had finished his work.

4. Simple Past → Past Perfect

He said, “I bought a new book.”
He said that he had bought a new book.

5. will → would

She said, “I will help you.”
She said that she would help me.

6. can → could

He said, “I can swim.”
He said that he could swim.


Important Exception: When Tense Does Not Change

The tense generally does not change when:

A. The Reporting Verb is in the Present or Future Tense

He says, “I am busy.”
He says that he is busy.

She will say, “I am ready.”
She will say that she is ready.

B. The Reported Speech Expresses a Universal Truth

A universal truth remains true regardless of when it is reported.

The teacher said, “The Earth moves around the Sun.”
The teacher said that the Earth moves around the Sun.

The teacher said, “The Sun rises in the east.”
The teacher said that the Sun rises in the east.

C. The Statement is Still True

If the reported statement remains true at the time of reporting, the tense may sometimes be retained.

Rahul said, “I live in Delhi.”
Rahul said that he lives in Delhi.


Rule 4: Change of Pronouns

Pronouns usually change according to the person speaking, the person spoken to, and the context.

A useful school-level rule is:

First Person → Changes according to the Subject of the Reporting Verb

Riya said, “I am happy.”
Riya said that she was happy.

Second Person → Changes according to the Object of the Reporting Verb

He said to me, “You are clever.”
He told me that I was clever.

Third Person → Usually Remains Unchanged

He said, “She is honest.”
He said that she was honest.

Remember:

1st Person → Subject
2nd Person → Object
3rd Person → No general change


Rule 5: Change of Words Showing Nearness

Words that indicate time or place may change when the speech is reported.

Direct SpeechIndirect Speech
nowthen
todaythat day
tonightthat night
yesterdaythe previous day / the day before
tomorrowthe next day / the following day
last nightthe previous night
last weekthe previous week
next weekthe following week
agobefore
herethere
thisthat
thesethose
thusso
comego

Example:

He said, “I will come here tomorrow.”

He said that he would go there the next day.

Note: These changes depend on the context. They are not mechanical in every situation.


Narration of Assertive Sentences

An Assertive Sentence makes a statement or gives information.

For such sentences:

  • Remove the quotation marks.

  • Use that as the conjunction.

  • Change pronouns, tense and time/place words where necessary.

  • Change said to into told when an object is mentioned.

Example 1:

He said, “I am ill.”

He said that he was ill.

Example 2:

He said to me, “I am busy.”

He told me that he was busy.

Important:

We generally say:

said to + person → told + person

He said to me... → He told me...

But told normally needs an object.

❌ He told that he was tired.
✅ He said that he was tired.
✅ He told me that he was tired.


Narration of Interrogative Sentences

An Interrogative Sentence asks a question.

There are two main types:

  1. Yes/No Questions

  2. Wh-Questions

A. Yes/No Questions

Use if or whether.

Direct:

He said to me, “Are you ready?”

Indirect:

He asked me if I was ready.

Another Example:

She said to him, “Do you know the answer?”

She asked him whether he knew the answer.

Important Changes

  • said to → asked

  • Remove the question mark.

  • Use if/whether.

  • Change the interrogative structure into a statement structure.

❌ He asked me if was I ready.
✅ He asked me if I was ready.


B. Wh-Questions

When the question begins with what, who, whom, whose, which, when, where, why, how, the same question word is generally retained.

Direct:

He said to me, “Where do you live?”

Indirect:

He asked me where I lived.

Direct:

She said, “Why are you crying?”

Indirect:

She asked why I was crying.

Remember:

Question word + Subject + Verb

❌ He asked where did I live.
✅ He asked where I lived.


Narration of Imperative Sentences

An Imperative Sentence expresses an order, command, request, advice, warning, or prohibition.

In Indirect Speech, we generally use:

Reporting Verb + Object + to + Verb

Order / Command

The teacher said to the students, “Keep quiet.”

The teacher ordered the students to keep quiet.

Request

He said to me, “Please help me.”

He requested me to help him.

Advice

The doctor said to him, “Take rest.”

The doctor advised him to take rest.

Negative Command / Prohibition

For negative commands, use:

not to + verb

The teacher said to the boys, “Do not make a noise.”

The teacher ordered the boys not to make a noise.

Common Reporting Verbs

MeaningReporting Verb
Orderordered
Commandcommanded
Requestrequested
Adviceadvised
Warningwarned
Beggingbegged
Urgingurged

The reporting verb should be selected according to the meaning and tone of the original sentence.


Narration of Exclamatory Sentences

An Exclamatory Sentence expresses strong feelings such as joy, sorrow, surprise, admiration, regret, etc.

In Indirect Speech:

  • Remove the exclamation mark.

  • Use a suitable reporting verb.

  • Change the sentence into a statement.

Joy

She said, “Hurrah! We have won the match.”

She exclaimed with joy that they had won the match.

Sorrow

He said, “Alas! My friend is dead.”

He exclaimed with sorrow that his friend was dead.

Surprise

She said, “What a beautiful painting!”

She exclaimed with surprise that it was a very beautiful painting.

Admiration

He said, “What a beautiful flower!”

He exclaimed with admiration that it was a very beautiful flower.

Common Reporting Verbs

exclaimed with joy, exclaimed with sorrow, exclaimed with surprise, exclaimed with admiration, exclaimed with regret


Narration of Optative Sentences

An Optative Sentence expresses a wish, prayer, blessing, or curse.

Common reporting verbs include:

  • wished

  • prayed

  • blessed

  • cursed

Wish

He said, “May you succeed!”

He wished that I might succeed.

Prayer

The old man said, “May God bless you!”

The old man prayed that God might bless me.

Blessing

The grandmother said, “May you live long!”

The grandmother blessed me that I might live long.


Narration of Sentences Beginning with "Let"

The word let can express different meanings. Therefore, its narration depends on the meaning.

A. "Let" expressing a suggestion

He said, “Let us go for a walk.”

He suggested that they should go for a walk.

or

He suggested going for a walk.

B. "Let me" expressing a request for permission

He said, “Let me go.”

He requested me to let him go.

C. "Let" expressing a command

The officer said, “Let him enter.”

The officer ordered that he should be allowed to enter.


Narration of "Thank You"

When the speaker expresses thanks, use a suitable reporting verb such as thanked.

Direct:

He said to me, “Thank you for helping me.”

Indirect:

He thanked me for helping him.


Narration of "Good Morning / Good Evening"

Greetings are reported using suitable verbs such as greeted, wished, welcomed, etc.

Direct:

He said to me, “Good morning.”

Indirect:

He wished me good morning.

Direct:

She said to her teacher, “Good morning, Ma'am.”

Indirect:

She wished her teacher good morning.


Narration of "Yes" and "No"

Words such as yes and no are usually changed according to their meaning.

Direct:

He said, “Yes, I can do it.”

Indirect:

He agreed that he could do it.

Direct:

She said, “No, I don't know him.”

Indirect:

She denied that she knew him.


Narration of Short Answers

When a short answer such as yes, no, certainly, surely, etc. occurs, use an appropriate reporting verb.

Direct:

He said, “Yes, I know the man.”

Indirect:

He agreed that he knew the man.

Direct:

She said, “No, I did not break the glass.”

Indirect:

She denied that she had broken the glass.


A Quick Formula for Changing Direct into Indirect Speech

Students can remember the following steps:

Step 1: Identify the Type of Sentence

Is it:

  • Assertive?

  • Interrogative?

  • Imperative?

  • Exclamatory?

  • Optative?

Step 2: Identify the Reporting Verb

Look at verbs such as:

said, said to, asked, ordered, requested, advised, exclaimed, wished, etc.

Step 3: Remove the Quotation Marks

Remove “ ”.

Step 4: Choose the Correct Connector

Sentence TypeCommon Connector
Assertivethat
Yes/No Questionif / whether
Wh-Questionwh-word
Imperativeto / not to
Exclamatorythat
Optativethat

Step 5: Change the Pronouns

Follow the context and the person referred to.

Step 6: Change the Tense

Usually change the tense when the reporting verb is in the past tense.

Step 7: Change Time and Place Words

Change words such as now, today, tomorrow, here, this, etc., when required by the context.

Step 8: Check the Sentence Structure

In indirect questions, use statement order, not question order.


Direct and Indirect Speech: Quick Comparison

Direct SpeechIndirect Speech
He said, “I am happy.”He said that he was happy.
He said to me, “Are you ready?”He asked me if I was ready.
He said to me, “Where do you live?”He asked me where I lived.
He said to me, “Open the door.”He ordered me to open the door.
He said to me, “Please help me.”He requested me to help him.
He said, “Do not run.”He ordered them not to run.
He said, “Hurrah! We won.”He exclaimed with joy that they had won.
He said, “May you succeed!”He wished that I might succeed.

Important Points for Students

  1. Direct Speech gives the speaker's exact words.

  2. Indirect Speech reports the speaker's words without quoting them exactly.

  3. Quotation marks are used in Direct Speech but normally not in Indirect Speech.

  4. Said to often changes to told in statements when an object is present.

  5. In questions, said to generally changes to asked.

  6. In commands, requests and advice, use suitable reporting verbs such as ordered, requested, advised, etc.

  7. Use if/whether for Yes/No questions.

  8. Keep the Wh-word in Wh-questions.

  9. An indirect question follows statement word order.

  10. First-person pronouns generally change according to the subject of the reporting verb.

  11. Second-person pronouns generally change according to the object of the reporting verb.

  12. Third-person pronouns generally remain unchanged.

  13. If the reporting verb is in the past tense, the reported speech usually moves one step back in tense.

  14. Universal truths generally do not change their tense.

  15. Always consider the meaning and context before changing a reporting verb or a word showing time/place.


One-Line Memory Trick

Identify → Report → Connect → Change Pronouns → Change Tense → Change Time/Place → Check Structure

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Message Writing – Sample and Practice

Notice Writing

Formal Letter Writing: Sample and Practice Questions