Present Perfect Tense| Fuction | Activity | Practice

 

A Special Day for Hamid



Today is a special day for Hamid. He has finished his homework, and he has cleaned his room. His mother has prepared his favourite breakfast. Hamid has already eaten it.

His father has bought a new cricket bat for him. Hamid is very happy because he has never had such a beautiful bat before.

Hamid has invited his friends to play cricket in the afternoon. His friends have arrived at his house, and they have brought a ball with them. They have played several exciting matches together.

Now Hamid is tired, but he is happy. He has had a wonderful day.

🔎 Spot the Tense

Find and underline all the Present Perfect Tense verbs in the story.

💡 Hint: Look for: has / have + past participle (V3)

Write any 8 Present Perfect verb phrases from the story.






What Is the Present Perfect Tense?

We use the Present Perfect Tense to talk about an action that happened in the past but has a connection with the present.

Basic Structure

Subject + has/have + past participle (V3)

Examples

  • I have finished my homework.

  • She has cleaned her room.

  • They have visited Delhi.

  • He has lost his pen.

  • We have completed the project.

Easy Idea: Past Action + Present Connection = Present Perfect

For example:

Riya has lost her key.

She lost it in the past, but the result is important now because she cannot open the door.


2. Has or Have?

Choosing the correct helping verb is important.

SubjectHelping VerbExample
IhaveI have finished my work.
YouhaveYou have done well.


ShehasShe has gone home.
IthasIt has stopped raining.
Singular nounhasRiya has finished her work.

⭐ Easy Rule: 

  • I / You / We / They → HAVE
  • He / She / It / Singular noun → HAS


3. The Main Verb: Use the Past Participle (V3)

The Present Perfect uses the third form of the verb (V3).

Base Verb (V1)Past (V2)Past Participle (V3)
eatateeaten
gowentgone
seesawseen
writewrotewritten
dodiddone
taketooktaken
breakbrokebroken
finishfinishedfinished
playplayedplayed

Examples

  • She has eaten lunch.

  • He has gone to school.

  • I have written a letter.

  • They have finished the work.

⚠️ Remember: Do not use V2 after has/have.

❌ She has went home.

✅ She has gone home.


4. Find the Helping Verb and Main Verb 🔍

Helping Verb + Main Verb (V3)

Example: Rohan has completed his homework.

  • Helping verb → has

  • Main verb → completed

Exercise 1. Your Turn

Underline the helping verb and Circle the main verb twice.

  1. She has finished her homework.

  2. They have visited the museum.

  3. I have eaten my lunch.

  4. He has written a letter.

  5. We have completed the project.


When Do We Use the Present Perfect?

Function 1: A Past Action with a Present Result 🔗

The action happened in the past, but its result is important now.

  • I have lost my pen.

  • She has broken her glasses.

  • He has forgotten his homework.

  • They have missed the bus.

ThinkWhat has happened, and what is the result now?


Function 2: An Action That Has Just Happened ⏰

We often use Present Perfect with just for something that happened a very short time ago.

  • The teacher has just arrived.

  • I have just finished my lunch.

  • She has just called me.


Function 3: An Action That Has Already Happened ✅

We use already when something has happened before now.

  • I have already completed my homework.

  • She has already eaten breakfast.

  • They have already left.


Function 4: An Action That Has Not Happened Until Now 

We often use yet in negative sentences and questions.

  • I haven't finished my homework yet.

  • She hasn't arrived yet.

  • Have you finished your work yet?

Remember

already → usually positive

yet → usually questions and negative sentences


Function 5: Life Experiences 🌍

We use Present Perfect to talk about experiences in someone's life when we don't mention a definite past time.

  • I have visited Mumbai.

  • She has ridden a horse.

  • He has seen the Taj Mahal.

  • We have eaten South Indian food.

With "ever" and "never"

  • Have you ever visited Delhi?

  • I have never visited Delhi.

  • She has never ridden a horse.


Function 6: An Action or Situation That Started in the Past and Continues Until Now ⏳

We can use Present Perfect with for and since.

FOR = a period of time

  • I have lived here for five years.

  • She has studied English for three years.

SINCE = a starting point

  • I have lived here since 2021.

  • He has worked here since June.

Easy Trick

for → How long?

since → From when?


Exercise 2. Complete the Sentences

Choose has or have.

  1. I _______ finished my homework.

  2. She _______ cleaned her room.

  3. They _______ gone to school.

  4. We _______ completed the project.

  5. He _______ eaten breakfast.

  6. You _______ done a great job.

  7. My brother _______ broken his toy.

  8. The children _______ arrived.


Exercise 4. Choose the Correct Form of the Verb 

Choose the correct option.

  1. She has _______ her homework.
    (finish / finished)

  2. They have _______ to Delhi.
    (go / gone)

  3. He has _______ his lunch.
    (eat / eaten)

  4. I have _______ a letter.
    (write / written)

  5. We have _______ the movie.
    (see / seen)

  6. Riya has _______ her book.
    (take / taken)

  7. The boy has _______ the glass.
    (break / broken)

  8. You have _______ very well.
    (do / done)


Exercise 5. Put the Words in the Correct Order 🧩

Make meaningful Present Perfect sentences.

Example

has / homework / finished / she / her

Ans. She has finished her homework.

Exercise 6. Now You Try

  1. have / I / my / completed / work

  2. has / Rohan / eaten / lunch

  3. they / have / the / visited / museum

  4. has / she / letter / written / a

  5. we / have / the / finished / project

  6. has / lost / he / his / pen

  7. already / have / they / arrived

  8. just / has / teacher / the / come


Exercise 7. Find the Error and Rewrite It 🔍

Each sentence has one mistake. Find it and rewrite the sentence correctly.

  1. He have finished his homework.

  2. She has ate her lunch.

  3. They has completed the work.

  4. I has written a letter.

  5. We have went to the market.

  6. Riya have cleaned her room.

  7. He has saw that movie.

  8. They have took my book.


Exercise 8. Complete the Sentences with JUST, ALREADY or YET

Choose the correct word.

  1. I have _______ finished my homework.

  2. She has _______ gone to bed.

  3. Have you eaten your lunch _______?

  4. The bus has _______ arrived.

  5. He hasn't finished his work _______.

  6. We have _______ seen this movie.


Exercise 9. Make Negative Sentences 

Ex. I have not finished my homework.

  1. She has finished her homework.

  2. They have arrived.

  3. He has eaten lunch.

  4. We have completed the work.

  5. I have seen the movie.


Exercise 10. Make Questions ❓

Put Has or Have before the subject.

ExShe has finished her work.

Change these sentences into Yes/No. type questions.

  1. You have finished your homework.

  2. She has eaten breakfast.

  3. They have visited Delhi.

  4. He has completed the project.

  5. Your brother has seen the movie.

Change these sentences into Why.. type questions.

Put Question Word (QW) then Has or Have before the subject.

Ex. When have you finished your homeworks
  1. You have finished your homework.

  2. She has eaten breakfast.

  3. They have visited Delhi.

  4. He has completed the project.

  5. Your brother has seen the movie.



Exercise 11. Complete the Conversation 💬

Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the verbs in brackets.

Aman: Have you __________ your homework? (finish)

Ravi: Yes, I __________ already __________ it. (finish)

Aman: Has your sister __________ her homework? (complete)

Ravi: No, she __________ not __________ it yet. (complete)

Aman: Have you __________ lunch? (eat)

Ravi: Yes, I __________ just __________ lunch. (eat)

Aman: Great! Let's play cricket.

Ravi: Good idea! I __________ never __________ so happy! (feel)


Exercise 12. Have You Ever...? 🌍

Ask your partner these questions.

Student A:

Have you ever visited another city?

Student B:

Yes, I have. / No, I haven't.

Now ask:

  1. Have you ever eaten Chinese food?

  2. Have you ever ridden a bicycle?

  3. Have you ever visited a museum?

  4. Have you ever seen a famous person?

  5. Have you ever won a competition?

  6. Have you ever helped someone in need?


Exercise 13. FOR or SINCE?

Choose for or since.

  1. I have lived here _______ five years.

  2. She has studied English _______ 2022.

  3. He has worked here _______ June.

  4. We have known each other _______ three years.

  5. They have lived in Delhi _______ 2020.

  6. I have had this bag _______ two months.

Remember

FOR + period : for two years

SINCE + starting point : since 2024


Exercise 14. Complete the Paragraph

Complete the paragraph using the Present Perfect form of the verbs in brackets.

My name is Meera. I love reading books. I __________ (finish) three books this month. My brother __________ (also/read) two books. We __________ (visit) the school library many times. Our teacher __________ (give) us some interesting books to read. I __________ (already/complete) my science project, but my brother __________ (not/finish) his project yet. He __________ (promise) to finish it tonight.


Exercise 15. Correct or Incorrect? 

Read each sentence and decide whether it is Correct or Incorrect. Correct the incorrect ones.

  1. I have finished my homework.

  2. She have gone to school.

  3. He has eaten his lunch.

  4. They has completed the project.

  5. We have seen this movie.

  6. Riya has wrote a letter.

  7. I have never visited Goa.

  8. Has you finished your work?


18. Present Perfect or Simple Past? 🤔

Be careful!

The Present Perfect is generally used when the exact finished past time is not mentioned or when the action has a connection with the present.

The Simple Past is used for a completed action at a definite past time.

Compare:

I have visited Delhi.
(Life experience; no definite time.)

I visited Delhi last year.
(Definite past time.)

Exercise 16. Choose the correct tense.

  1. I _______ my homework. (have finished / finished)

  2. I _______ my homework yesterday. (have finished / finished)

  3. She _______ to Mumbai three times. (has been / went)

  4. She _______ to Mumbai last month. (has been / went)

  5. We _______ this movie before. (have seen / saw)

  6. We _______ this movie last Sunday. (have seen / saw)


Exercise 17. MASTER CHALLENGE 

Read the paragraph carefully. It contains several mistakes in the Present Perfect Tense.

Rahul have finished his homework. He has wrote a letter to his friend. His sister have already eaten lunch. Their parents has gone to the market. Rahul has never went there alone. He have just cleaned his room, but he hasn't put his books away yet.

Your Task

Find all the mistakes and rewrite the whole paragraph correctly.


20. Write About Your Experiences 🌟

Write 6–8 sentences using the Present Perfect Tense.

You can write about things you have done in your life.

Use ideas such as:

  • visit a city

  • read a book

  • watch a movie

  • win a competition

  • learn a new skill

  • help someone

  • eat a new food

  • play a new game

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Message Writing – Sample and Practice

Notice Writing

Formal Letter Writing: Sample and Practice Questions