Present Simple (Indefinite) Tense| Fuction | Activity | Practice
A Day in Aarav's Life
Meet Aarav, a schoolboy who lives in Mysuru. Every morning, he wakes up at 6 o'clock. He brushes his teeth, takes a shower and gets ready for school. His mother prepares breakfast, while his father reads the newspaper.Aarav eats breakfast with his family and then walks to the bus stop. His school bus arrives at 7:30. At school, he studies English, Maths and Science. He enjoys Science because he loves learning about animals and space.
Aarav's teachers teach him new things every day. During the lunch break, he plays with his friends. After school, he comes home, does his homework and helps his mother. In the evening, he usually plays cricket with his friends.
Aarav knows that regular practice makes him better. He believes that hard work brings success.
🔎 Spot the Tense
Find and underline all the verbs in the story that show the Present Simple Tense.
Challenge: Write any 10 Present Simple verbs from the story.
What Is the Present Simple Tense?
We use the Present Simple Tense to talk about things that happen regularly, things that are generally true, and situations that are usually or always the same.
Examples
I go to school every day.
She reads books.
We play cricket on Sundays.
The sun rises in the east.
My father works in a bank.
Easy Idea: Think about:Habits + Routines + Facts + General Truths
2. The Basic Structure
With I, You, We and They
Subject + base verb + ...
I play cricket.
You read books.
We study English.
They live in India.
With He, She, It and Singular Nouns
Subject + Verb + s/es + ...
He plays cricket.
She reads books.
It rains heavily.
Riya goes to school.
Remember: He / She / It → usually add -s or -es
He plays.
She watches.
Rohan goes.
When Do We Use the Present Simple?
Function 1: Daily Habits and Routines ⏰
We use the Present Simple for things we do regularly.
I wake up at 6 a.m.
She goes to school every day.
We often have breakfast at 8 o'clock.
Common time expressions: every day, every morning, usually, often, always, sometimes, never
Function 2: Facts and General Truths 🌍
We use it for facts that are generally true.
The Earth moves around the Sun.
Water boils at 100°C.
Birds have wings.
Plants need water.
Function 3: Permanent or Long-Term Situations 🏠
I live in India.
My uncle works in a hospital.
She studies at a school.
They own a small shop.
Function 4: Likes, Dislikes and Feelings ❤️
I like mangoes.
She loves music.
He doesn't like spicy food.
We enjoy cricket.
Function 5: Timetables and Schedules 📅
The Present Simple can also describe fixed schedules.
The train leaves at 6 p.m.
School starts at 8:30 a.m.
The bus arrives at 7:15.
4. Find the Subject and Verb 🔍
Look at each sentence.
Example: Riya plays tennis.
Exercise 1: Identify the subject and main verb.
Ali reads storybooks.
The boys play football.
My mother cooks dinner.
We study English.
The dog barks loudly.
Helping Verbs: Do and Does
In the Present Simple, do and does are used mainly to make negative sentences and questions.
Use: DO → I, You, We, They DOES → He, She, It
Examples:
I do not play chess.
They do not watch TV.
He does not play chess.
She does not watch TV.
Important! ⚠️
After does, use the base form of the verb.
❌ He does not plays cricket.
✅ He does not play cricket.
6. Underline the Helping and Main Verbs ✏️
Underline the helping verb once and the main verb twice.
Example:
She does not like coffee.
Helping verb → does
Main verb → like
Exercise 2: Your Turn
I do not eat meat.
They do not play chess.
He does not watch television.
She does not like coffee.
We do not waste water.
Exercise 3. Complete the Sentences
Choose the correct form of the verb.
I _______ to school every day. (go/goes)
She _______ English. (study/studies)
They _______ cricket on Sundays. (play/plays)
Rahul _______ milk every morning. (drink/drinks)
We _______ our homework regularly. (do/does)
My sister _______ storybooks. (read/reads)
The train _______ at 7 a.m. (leave/leaves)
Birds _______ in the sky. (fly/flies)
Exercise 4. Add -S or -ES 🎯
Choose the correct form.
He _______ football. (play)
She _______ TV. (watch)
Riya _______ to school. (go)
My father _______ in an office. (work)
The baby _______ loudly. (cry)
Ali _______ English. (study)
The bus _______ at 8 a.m. (pass)
My brother _______ his room. (clean)
9. Make Meaningful Sentences 🧩
Put the words in the correct order.
Example:
every / school / I / day / go / to
✅ I go to school every day.
Exercise 5. Now You Try
every / morning / wakes / he / early / up
English / she / studies / every day
cricket / they / play / Sundays / on
newspaper / father / my / reads / the
likes / Rohan / mangoes
school / bus / arrives / the / at 7:30
homework / we / our / do / every evening
Exercise 6. Find the Error and Rewrite It 🔍
Each sentence has one mistake. Find it and rewrite the sentence correctly.
Your Turn
He go to school every day.
They plays cricket on Sundays.
My sister read books every evening.
We studies English at school.
Riya watch television after dinner.
The boys likes mangoes.
My father work in a bank.
The sun rise in the east.
Exercise 7. Make Negative Sentences
Use do not / don't or does not / doesn't.
Ex. I don't play football
Change into Negative
I play football.
She likes mangoes.
They watch television.
He goes to school by bus.
We eat rice every day.
Exercise 8. Make Questions ❓
Change these sentences into Yes / No type questions.
Ex. Deos he play cricket?
You play cricket.
She likes chocolate.
They live in Mysuru.
He goes to school by bus.
Your brother watches TV.
You play cricket.
She likes chocolate.
They live in Mysuru.
He goes to school by bus.
Your brother watches TV.
Exercise 9. Complete the Conversation 💬
Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the verbs.
Aisha: What time do you __________ (wake) up?
Neha: I __________ (wake) up at 6 o'clock.
Aisha: Do you __________ (walk) to school?
Neha: No, I don't. I __________ (go) by bus.
Aisha: What does your brother do after school?
Neha: He __________ (play) cricket with his friends.
Aisha: Does he __________ (do) his homework?
Neha: Yes, he __________ (do) it before dinner.
Exercise 10. Complete the Paragraph
Complete the paragraph with the correct form of the verbs in brackets.
My name is Kabir. I __________ (live) in Bengaluru. I __________ (go) to school every day. My school __________ (start) at 8:30 a.m. I __________ (study) English, Maths and Science. My best friend __________ (sit) beside me. We __________ (play) together during the lunch break. After school, I __________ (come) home and __________ (do) my homework. In the evening, I usually __________ (play) cricket.
Exercise 11. Speak with a Partner
Ask your partner these questions.
Student A: What time do you wake up?
Student B: I wake up at __________.
Student A: How do you come to school?
Student B: I come to school by __________.
Student A: What do you do after school?
Student B: I __________.
Student A: What games do you play?
Student B: I play __________.
Exercise 12. Write About Your Daily Routine
Write 6–8 sentences about your daily routine.
You can use these ideas:
wake up, brush your teeth, have breakfast, go to school, study, play, do homework, watch television, read, go to bed
Exercise 13. MASTER CHALLENGE
Read the sentences carefully and correct the mistakes.
Rohan wake up early every morning. He brush his teeth and take a shower. His mother prepare breakfast for him. Rohan eat breakfast and go to school. He study English and Maths at school. After school, he play cricket with his friends. In the evening, he do his homework and read a book.
Comments
Post a Comment